Thursday, August 26, 2010

Recreate Makeup Trends for Fall 2010


 I often find it funny that we know trends for seasons that are months away. How can "they" know?!?! How can magazine editors, fashion designers, and makeup artists know?!?! It's a phenomenon...well not really, but I like to sometimes think it is. I like to believe that there is some magic and mystery that happens at the top of the beauty and fashion industry. Remember that famous quote by Ms. Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada?

"'This... stuff (talking about the racks and racks of clothes)'? Oh. Okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select... I don't know... that lumpy blue sweater, for instance because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise. It's not lapis. It's actually cerulean. And you're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent... wasn't it who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And then it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of stuff. The organic nature in the way that trends are thought up, recycled, and reinterpreted. "

If that's not magic, I'm not sure what is! So therefore now that Fall is actually upon us I've had plenty of time to peruse the Fall 2010 trends! I want to share with you not only some of my favorites, but how they can be reinterpreted for us everyday girls on an everyday budget.

1. The Cat Eye & Nude Lip
This look was seen on the Bluemarine models in Milan's Fashion Week. The makeup concept was created by Charlotte Tibury, lead makeup artist for MAC. I love this bold look. I love how the eyes are lined a little heavy on both the top and bottom lid and that the liner is then winged up almost to the brow. This look may be a little too harsh for the everyday girl, so I've thought of a simple way you can soften up this look without killing your budget. Start off by using an oil free foundation, check out Tarte's Peaches & Cream foundation, and create a flawless matte finish. 

This trends focus in on the dark eye, but I would go ahead and do your brows as you normally would. If you choose to try out the muted brow though, it can sometimes look a little too severe for everyday. Using an eye primer, like Benefit Cosmetics' Stay Don't Stray, pat the product on your upper lid and underneath your bottom lash line. The warmth of your figures will work the product onto your lid. I don't really like the cat eye on a bare lid, because again the look can turn out a stronger than you might like to going out with friends or hitting the mall. 

Try using a cream eyeshadow in a light shade, think Maybelline's Eye Studio Cream shadow trio in Natural Liaison for $5.49. I really love the middle brown/bronze shade. It's a drop more pigmented than your natural eye lid color, but still gives the cat eye center stage. As for the show stopper, use a liquid eyeliner on the top of your lid, think Maybelline Stiletto Liquid Liner - Blackest Black for under $6.00. It's actually one of my August Favorites, so I really do recommend it. Use a business card as a guideline, so that the winged out eye is straight and on an angle you really like. As for the bottom lashes start with L'oreal Pencil Perfect Eyeliner in Carbon Black for $1.99 and line your water line. Then using the pencil begin to define your bottom lash line and lightly begin to fill in and match it to the liquid lined wing from your top lashes. Then using the liquid liner darken the pencil line and fill in any spots. The liquid liner is absolutely fine under your bottom lashes, however make sure for your water line that you use a pencil. It's not fun getting liquid eyeliner in your eye, trust me! Curl and add your favorite black mascara to your lashes. Try L'Oreal Volume Shocking Mascara in blackest Blackest Black for $8.99.


The cheeks here are contoured, another trend of the season, right underneath the cheek bones to help facilitate this strong look. To soften this look use a light blush that just warms up the apples of your cheeks just a tad, I really love Orgasm by NARS for this affect. As for the lip, go NUDE! Test out Revlon's Nude Attitude Matte Lipstick for $6.90. You can wear it as is or add just a clear gloss to soften the look a bit. This is a fabulous this look for day or night! It's really versatile and clean. I'm really excited to see it a lot this fall!


Total Cost of the essentials to this look (lipstick, eyeliner, liquid eyeliner, and mascara): Under $30!

2. All Natural
Not many of us would dream to walk out of the house without makeup on and this is certainly not what this trend is suggesting. Rather instead, it's implying that

less is in fact more. This trend is carrying over from the spring and summer and I'm happy to see it. There is a variety of ways you can achieve this look. You can start off by only using foundation to cover any discoloration or blemishes; or use a light tinted moisturizer all over your face to moisturize, but to also even out your skin tone. For example Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Tinted Moisturizer for $11.49. This gives your face a bit of coverage without being heavy at all. I also like to add concealer, but this is personal preference. I'm really loving the Sonia Kashuk® Hidden Agenda Concealer Set for $9.99, but that's totally an option and not necessary to complete the look.


Next our eyes! The nude lid is very big when it comes to this look. I like to use an eye primer on my lid and that's it sometimes. However, if you'd like to add a little color try playing with shades from the Urban Decay
 Naked Palette, shown above, for a little over $40. Definitely an investment, but it really does have all the colors you'd ever really want for a soft look. If that's a little too steep, try Maybelline Expert Wear Quads in Sunlit Bronze for $4.94.  I love Maybelline quads because if you flip them over they tell you exactly how to put the colors on to achieve the look that you're going for. I really like the subtly of these shades. Make sure you use the lightest color of this quad or a highlight shade to place in the inner corners of your eyes. This not only opens up your eyes, but makes them look super refreshed. For most people achieving this look they'd skip on the eyeliner and I sometimes do too, but if you want to add a pop a color now would be the perfect time. Line your water line with a jewel tone, possibly an emerald green like Almay's intense i-color Eyeliner in Bring Out the Green for under $5.00. However, that's just an option. For mascara, it isn't about building a faux lash with a volumizing mascara; this entire look is based upon enhancing your natural beauty. I instead go for a lengthening mascara. Try Maybelline Lash Expansion Mascara for $6.99. For your cheeks use a light weight blush. Lately I've been enjoying the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Blush for $.699 (above). You can easily apply this with your fingers to achieve a subtle glow, for that perfect for the au naturale look. Try it in the shade Peach Satin. As for your lips, you have so many options. You can bite them a few times for some extra added color, eat a cherry lollipop, or leave them alone (haha). But if you want to add a product, first try and see how you like a tinted moisturizing lip balm. I think everyone loves Softlips, but not everyone knows they have a few tinted shades. Try out Softlips Tinted Lip Protectant  in Tickled Pink for under $4.00. Or if you're like me and more of a lipstick gal, test a CoverGirl's Continuous color lipstick out, especially in Smokey Rose for $3.99. I love how it pops just a little while staying true to this trend. This trend is absolutely perfect for an everyday routine. You have to just tailor it to your preferences. Check out these suggestions next time you're at your local drugstore, I promise I won't let you down!

Total Cost of the essentials to this look (foundation, eye quad, mascara, blush, and lip color): UNDER $30!

3. Gold Eyeshadow & Coral Lip
This was first seen done by Bobbi Brown and now it's become really popular. Gold tones work with all eye colors and there is a lot of ways in which you can really simply recreate this look. I always love a gold smokey eye! What girl doesn't it? It's incredibly sexy and wearable. Start off with a matte foundation and conceal under your eyes, along your mouth, and around your nose. Make sure you add a primer to your lids, as gold colors can sometimes not be as vibrant as the day wears on. If you're looking to splurge on an eye primer, test out Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion for $18.00. If that's out of your price range, you need not worry. You can easily use concealers as eye primers, despite what some may tell you! At least I do and I find it works fine. Try only these three shades by MAC to achieve this look, each 14.50.

First I love to start off with Honey Lust on the inner first half of my lid. On the second half use Amber Lights and blend, blend, blend! Using Mythology I work the product into my crease and blend into my outer corner. I then apply black eyeliner and use Amber Lights along my lower lashes. Using Honey Lust I highlight my brow bone and the inner corners of my eyes. There are many different ways to achieve a gold look. These are just my absolute three favorite shades to getting my eyes wear I want them. Add a volumizing mascara like Max Factor Volume Couture Mascara for $9.99 and you're good to go! The cheeks here are really subtle, I'd go with one of the Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush in a subtle pinky shade. As for the lips, I like my coral lips to have more of a pop than shown above. So I'd go with Lola's Cherie Amore from my August Favorites. This trend is super fun to put together and a lot easier than one might think!

Total Cost of the essentials to this look: UNDER $60! *Look around your favorite drugstore though, you can probably find gold tones that will do this look justice. 


So there you have it, my favorite must-copy Fall 2010 trends!

I hope you try them out and let me know what you think or how you're doing them!

Tweet me! @makeup_chic
Watch me! Leira821

xo!
A


No comments:

Post a Comment