Thursday, August 12, 2010

Always in Search of the Perfect Liquid Foundation

Foundations are like significant others. You need them to be reliable, complimentary, and by your side at 3am after a night of a little too much "TGIF" celebration. They need to be your PIC (partner-in-crime).

I've been searching for the perfect foundation since I was 13 and it's been a bit of a challenge ever since. There's so much that goes into finding the right one. Do you prefer liquid or dry? Light of full coverage? Perhaps a tinted moisturizer is up to your ally? It's a difficult process and one that often, if done incorrectly, can lead to a very nasty break-out and a multitude of other equally horrifying things.

Throughout my trial and error I've found six that I absolutely adore:


1. Tarte's Peaches & Cream Oil-Free Liquid Powder Mineral Foundation SPF 20 $35.00

Buying this was a fluke, but I'm so happy that I went out on a limb and tried this foundation. This full coverage foundation goes on smooth and beautifully, but is extremely quick drying. It doesn't leave your face looking sweaty like some liquid foundations can do. It covers nicely and definitely lasts all day. I simply apply with a foundation brush. I really like Tarte because of what kind of brand they are. According to their website "these are natural cosmetics full of skinvigorating™ ingredients including our proprietary t5 super fruit complex™ (a blend of the five most active, free-radical fighting super fruits), vitamins, minerals and natural fruit and plant extracts. But it’s not just about what’s in our healthy formulas; it’s what’s not in them that really sets us apart! Over 98% of our products are formulated without parabens, phthalates, sulfates and synthetic fragrances, just to name a few." My skin does not break out with any of Tarte's products and I'm in love with this full coverage. Sometimes a gal just needs it, right?



2. Revlon's PhotoReady Foundation Around $11.99

This drug store brand foundation goes on light and smooth. It is oil free, fragrance free, and in an SPF of 20. According to Revlon.com "this foundation creates a the look of poreless, airbrushed skin in any light. Photochromatic pigments bend and reflect light to erase every flaw. Complete, yet undetectable coverage. Soft, luminous finish." Do you recall how sometimes you can do your make up and look flawless, but then when a photo is taken of you you seem ghostly pale in comparison to the rest of your skin? This formula completely eliminates that hazard. Also, it comes in a wide variety of shades to find the perfect one for you!

3. Lorac's Oil-Free Foundation Regular price $30.00 on sale for $7.99

According to their website "it’s the simplicity of this oil, fragrance and silicone free formula that makes it so unique. This light, gentle makeup gives you a natural, healthy look and feel - ideal for sensitive skin." I have a feeling that they're probably coming out with something new and that's why it's at such a discounted price. But I really do like it! It's weightless and free feeling. It doesn't leave you feeling sticky or the feeling that you're wearing a lot of make up. And at the price it is now, how could you not try it out? Lorac is an exceptional brand for sensitive skin, so I definitely recommend it if that's you.

4. Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 $42.00

This tinted moisturized is a little more expensive than what I'd nor

mally pay, but it "is such a sheer, lightweight, buildable foundation that can be worn by all skin types but especially those with acne prone, sensitive or oily skin." That's me! It goes on very light, which is perfect for a day out by the beach or just a comfortable Sunday. It was voted In Style Best Beauty Buy of April 2008 and it lives up to the award. I really like even putting this tinted moisturizer on before my regular foundation as a moisturizing primer. I have never broken out from using this product and it's a great summer buy! Definitely worth the investment!

5. MAC's Face & Body Foundation $32.00

This is the newest foundation to the bunch and I have lots to say abou

t it. First the bottle is 120ML and that's huge! Although the consistency of the product is a little thinner than I normally enjoy, it goes on really smooth and the coverage is not as light as you'd think. According to their website this "water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types. Face and Body Foundation provides sheer, natural looking coverage in an easy to blend, water-resistant formula. The long-lasting formula is available in a wide range of colors and contains several emollients to help moisturize and condition the skin. It delivers professional looking results that meet the exacting standards of beauty photography and is ideal for perfecting the face and body." To finish out the summer I'm very excited about this product. I think that it does what it say it's going to do. It goes on a little wetter than perhaps one may like, but the results are fabulous. You have to wait a

moment or two for the product to dry completely, but once it does you have a radiant summer glow. I really like this foundation for day-time, however it does translate well into the evening. MAC has not been known for foundation that people rave about, but this one certainly shines.

6. Clarin's Truly Matte Foundation in SPF 15 $38.00

Two summers ago stress had taken over my life and my face! I was broken out all along my t-zone and my jawline. I hadnever broken out like that before and I was miserable. I headed over to Macy's department store in search of a foundation that would help me! I always valued Clarins as a great brand for my skin care, so I had hoped that their make up would help me as well. After consulting with the sales woman I chose the Truly Matte Foundation. According to Clarins.com "this non-oily foundation quite simply delivers all: coverage

without thickness, radiance without shine, a fresh, natural look at anytime and protection combined with total comfort. Superb make-up, a flawless complexion and skin that looks more beautiful every day." Along with an intense skincare regime this foundation helped to clear up my complexion. I always keep a bottle on hand and it has never let me down. I recommend this product to women who have a bit of an oi

ly complexion and a stressful day-to-day life. It's weightless, gentle, and you only need a drop. It does last a good bit of time and it's worth the investment.


Let me know what you think by tweeting me @makeup_chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment