Friday, October 1, 2010

Top Favorite Friday: Fall Must-Haves -- Splurge vs. Steal


Hi Everyone!

So, you know how I'm always searching for the great deal, a fabulous sale, the best for less? Well this blog post will be no different; except for the fact that I'll first share with you what I'm lusting over, before telling you about the great deal alternative.


This Must-Have began a few weeks ago as I was searching for a nude pump, sans the platform under the toes. On the left here are the Christian Louboutin Royal Blue Suede 'Madame Claude' d'orsay beauties that caught my eye. I love the idea of mixing the opulent earth tones of fall with a pop of color, like a rich cobalt blue. These babies are actually on sale for under $640! And even though I know that's a fabulous deal (and I saw my MTV idol Lauren Conrad sporting something similar), I can't spend almost $700 on blue suede pumps (or the YSL "Palais" platform version also for $700).

When I can't justify spending a large sum of money by promising myself that I'll wear it at least once a week, I refuse to let myself shell out the dough. I force myself to hold back my urge to splurge and instead chanel (spelling mistake and I'm keeping it!) my efforts towards the hunt. I began to Google myself silly (that sounds naughty, doesn't it?) in order to find an almost as exquisite pair. Within a half hour I spotted Luichiny's Cindy Lou Blue Suede heels. Although they are a bit different in toe shape and platform, I really like the Luichiny version. They still offer the the beautiful rich blue color that I'm completely in love with and a considerable heel, but without the hefty price tag. I no longer have to choose between paying my bills and buying Christian Louboutin shoes! Now I'm sure lots of girls would pick shoes over heat, but it's starting to become sweather* here in NY and I need to keep warm! (*sweater = sweater weather)


I love seeing masculine rich clothes for fall (think military trend) mixed with delicate super-fem necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and rings. I've always been in love with retro inspired "cluster of pearls"  rings. A few weeks ago while shopping on Overstock.com looking for a new coffee table, I just happened to wander over to the jewelry section and casually fell in hardcore lust with this ring (above left). It's a 14k Gold Freshwater Pearl Estate Cluster Ring marked on the site for just under $555. Yes it's beautiful, yes I really love it, yes I'll wear it all the freaking time...but I also need to pay student loans, put gas in my car, and maybe just maybe eat something other than Ramen Noodles for the rest of 2010.


After realizing that $555 was just not in the budget I decided to check out some of my favorite online haunts. And lo and behold, Piperlime.com had something quite similar. Now of course, it is not as gorgeous or exceptional as the estate ring, but I think it will do the trick. It's the Hive and Honey Pearl Cluster Ring and it's only $22! For that price I could buy two or three! (But I won't, don't worry) Piperlime often has great deals on the trends of the season. As long as this little jewel doesn't turn my finger green, I'm sold! I'll have to keep you all updated!




As you can tell I'm drawn to statement pieces thus far on this list. Therefore, it's no surprise that while pursuing through Fall 2010 trends, I spotted and fell in love, with this Bolingo Bag accessorized in Red Napa leather and crocodile with Gold hardware. I'm sorry PETA, I have sinned. This bucket style handbag retails for $655 and you can totally tell why. The crisp detail, the lush color, and the versatility of the style and shape drew me in, however the almost $700 price tag kept me at bay.

It wasn't long before, I found this gem (above right) on Nordstrom.com. To your right is the Elliott Lucca 'Cordoba - Large' Convertible Tote that retails for just under $200 (but I'm sure with coupons or a great sale could bring down that price). It comes in five colors, if red is not your thing. I love the hardware detail, the rich red color, and the price tag. Now I know some of you may think that $200 is a steep price tag, but if you carry it for only 8 weeks or 56 days it only costs you $3.60 a day to walk around with a fabulous bag! See, how a shop-o-holic does math? I definitely think you should consider what a red bag may do to dress up your wardrobe or even what it may do to your fall/winter attitude!


The transition into fall and then into winter is something most of us dread. Goodbye to the warm summer nights and hello to 6pm pitch black evenings. As we New Yorkers begin to make this necessary transition most of us like to do it in style.

Hence, the big jacket trend of fall 2010, the Aviator Jacket. This one on your left is Vince's Shearling Aviator Jacket that retails for $1,450.00! It's absolutely gorgeous, right? Which do you love more? The dark brown naplan spray dyed lamb (from Turkey!) pieces with light brown trim, the over sized spread collar, two-way front zip, or the the tonal bands create sections on shoulders and back? Perhaps the long sleeves with belted cuffs and chest zip pockets and front patch pockets with welt openings is more your thing. Either way this coat is too beautiful. I have a feeling it would probably be wearing me more than I would be wearing it. And since it costs more than I pay in rent, it's probably not something I should purchase.


Instead, I plan to purchase this jacket for much much less! This ASOS Leather Aviator Jacket  (above right) retails for $185. Much more affordable, right? I actually like the lighter leather color and the fact that the cuffs of the sleeves are not lined. Unfortunately I live in a pretty dirty city and those beautifully lined cuffs above would get quite messy in NYC. This a definitely a staple piece, therefore it's something I would feel comfortably wearing every fall here and there. I love that you can dress it down with jeans and t-shirt or dress it up with a really fun fall dress. It's extremely versatile and probably warm. Go figure! Something fashionable AND warm! That concept gets me every time!  Consider playing up a fall trend like this one because of it's longevity. Unlike some other trends that have a difficult go at standing the test of time (think dark roots & blonde hair, acid wash jeans, or giant shoulder pads), this jacket will still be chic during the years to come! 


I do love fall and winter a bit more when it comes to makeup. I think you have a lot more choices in the colder months than in the warmer; plus the makeup isn't going to melt off your face. I really wanted to try Beauty In A Box Purple Smoky Eyes Tutorial from Sephora (left). This set retails for $36 and included are four eye shadows, a mini black liner, a mini black mascara, and a double ended applicator. I don't know about you, but I don't know how many "mini" versions of things a gal needs! I know the mini's are good for your purse and travel, but more often than not I just lose them to the great makeup beyond. Then it really turns out to be just four shades for $36, which isn't a terrible deal; but I found a better one!

Instead I opted to try NYX's Cosmetics Purple Smoky Look Kit Eye Shadow Lip Color Palette for under $10! Here you get nine shades of eye shadows, two lip colors that complement your smoky purple look, and two applicator brushes. That to me seems like a much better deal. Nine times out of ten you're able to get a very similar look using much more affordable products and I really love NYX as a brand.

So there you have it ...my Top Five Favorite Fall Must-Haves: Splurge vs Steal!

What are yours?

Thanks for reading!
Want to tweet with me? Follow me @Makeup_Chic

Want to watch me chat? Check out My YouTube Channel



No comments:

Post a Comment